We love the summer. The hot sun, the picnics, the beach and, of course, the itching and frustration of getting nearly eaten alive by tiny, buzzing, blood-sucking insects--those darn mosquitoes! Franklin Pest Solutions has a gigantic bomb of tips and advice to not only prevent mosquito bites, but to keep the little buggers away from your home!
it might not seem like it, but mosquitoes can potentially be much more worrysome than just a few itchy bumps. Mosquitoes are what we call "vector pests"; this means they can transfer diseases to humans via their bite. Zika, West Nile, Malaria can be extremely serious and should be taken as such.
You know we love infographics, and so do our buddies at the National Pest Management Association (NPMA). Mosquitoes only need half an inch of water to breed, which isn't very much at all. Take a look below and see if you have any water sources in your yard you may not realize are keeping mosquitoes coming back every summer.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO KEEP MOSQUITOES AWAY?Infographics don't cover everything, but we're all about education and communication here at Franklin Pest Solutions. We wouldn't leave you without more tips for mosquito control to help you avoid being bitten!
- Apply repellent over top of sunscreen, and reapply every four to six hours.
- Minimizing outside activity between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active, though it is important to note that mosquitoes that transmit chikungunya are active throughout the day.
- Wearing long pants, long-sleeved shirts and closed-toe shoes when outdoors.
- Screening windows and doors, and patching torn screens.
- If there are concerns about mosquito activity on the property, contact a licensed pest control company or the local mosquito abatement district.
- People who are spending long amounts of time outdoors should also consider wearing long pants, long-sleeved shirts and closed-toe shoes to limit exposure to mosquitoes. The main type of mosquito that carries Zika is a daytime biter, so taking preventive measures at all times of the day is crucial.
- Anyone traveling outside of the United States should be aware of travel advisories currently in effect. Pack plenty of insect repellent and protective clothing. If a person falls ill upon returning home, seek prompt medical attention.
WHAT IF MOSQUITOS ARE UNAVOIDABLE?
Even the best mosquito prevention and mosquito treatment won't prevent you from ever having to deal with mosquitoes in your life (we can only dream). Even after following all of our prevention tips, mosquitoes can still be a problem. The most well-known solution is good, old-fashioned insect repellant! Used correctly and with the right ingredients, your summer camp out can remain insect (and bite) free!
HOW DOES FRANKLIN PEST TREAT MOSQUITOS?
Glad you asked! When it comes to mosquito service for the house--just like other pests--we use Integrated Pest Management (IPM), our tried and true method. IPM involves us working with you to inspect, identify, and treat pest problems. Working together with those three steps will not only ensure we've located the problem sources, but also taken the appropriate measures to ensure those sources are eliminated for good. Not only that, we'll show you how to keep them that way.
Top-notch treatment and prevention? What more could you ask for?