Summer is right around the corner, your vacation days have been adding up, and it's time to explore. As you make your get-away plans and pack your bags, there are a few extra items you should bring along to make sure no matter where you stay, you are protected from one of the hardest pests to eliminate: bed bugs. Franklin Pest Solutions has put together a checklist to help keep your trip bed bug-free.
Vacation is always bittersweet. It seems like once you're finally comfortable throwing your towels on the floor, it's time to go back home. Some people are ready to return home after one night's stay but nothing will make you wish you never left like bed bugs. Bed bugs mostly come out and feed at night so it's imperative you check hot-spots while there's enough light to see inside hiding spots. Franklin Pest Solutions knows that bed bug identification and prevention are the first steps of making sure that an issue on vacation does not turn into an infestation in your own home.
Places Bed Bugs Like to Hide
Franklin Pest Solutions and the National Pest Management Association have put together these preventative tips to keep you, your luggage, and your home safe from pests that my try to travel back with you.
- Thoroughly inspect the entire room for bed bugs before unpacking, including behind the headboard under lights, and inside dressers, drawers, sofas and chairs.
- Pull back the sheets and inspect the mattress seams and box springs, particularly at the corners, for pepper-like stains, spots or shed bed bug skins.
- Place suitcases in a plastic trash bag during the duration of the trip to ensure that bed bugs cannot take up residence there prior to departure.
- Bed bugs can easily hitchhike via housekeeping carts, luggage and even through wall sockets. If an infestation is spreading, it typically does so in the rooms closest to its origin.
- These pests like to hide in small cracks and crevices close to human environment. They can be found behind baseboards, wallpaper, upholstery and in furniture crevices.
Seek Professional Help Quickly
Again, knowing what bed bugs look like and how to identify bed bugs is the first step of prevention. Bed bugs reproduce quickly so it is very important to get professional help before your whole house is infested. Franklin Pest Solutions has heated bed bug treatments for your home and your business.
Use the buttons below for a free quote for your home or business. Keep in touch on social media to see what Indiana events we have coming up next, meet the crew and get professional answers for your pest questions in person.